Golf Course History

The Ponte Vedra Inn & Club has a rich golf history.  Enjoy the historical timeline below.

1928-32    Ocean Course designed by famous British architect, Herbert Bertram Strong. Lacking earth moving equipment, Strong used more than 100 mules to shape the course's contours. 
     
1938    Golf Magazine features Ponte Vedra's Ocean Course, Pebble Beach (CA), Oakmont (PA), and Pine Valley (NJ) as the "Hardest Courses in America".
     
1939    Ocean Course selected as the site for the Ryder Cup Matches. Unfortunately, just months prior to the scheduled event, it was cancelled due to the onset of World War II. 
     
1942    Golf legend Bobby Jones, after completing a match on the Ocean Course, commented "it's a course to challenge professionals". 
     
1947    Robert Trent Jones commissioned to redesign the Ocean Course in an attempt to reduce some of the course's severity. 
     
1951    Ocean Course hosts the Ponte Vedra Women's Open drawing powerful field of professionals such as Patty Berg, Louise Suggs and Babe Zaharias. 
     
1961    Robert Trent Jones returns to Ponte Vedra, this time to design an additional nine holes, the Lagoon Course.
     
1977    Noted course architect, Joe Lee, designs the second nine holes of the Lagoon Course. 
     
1984    Gate Petroleum Company of Jacksonville becomes the title sponsor for the North Florida PGA Gate Open which draws a field of the top club professionals in the area to compete for prize money on both the Ocean and Lagoon Courses.
     
1998    Former PGA Tour architect, Bobby Weed commissioned to renovate and update the Ocean Course. The result is a longer course, new and improved turf standards, additional tee boxes, greater undulation to fairways, larger greens, additional sand traps and water hazards.
     
2007    Bobby Weed commissioned to renovate the Lagoon Course. Length is increased to more than 6,000 yards; new tees, fairways and greens; several hole routing changes; new and improved turf standards; improved irrigation and drainage; and greatly enhanced landscaping